1

warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/history/public_html/modules/taxonomy/taxonomy.pages.inc on line 33.

First OA Handbook

With the coming full integration of the Order into the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), it was decided by the OA National Executive Committee that an Order of the Arrow (OA) handbook was needed. The groundwork had been done in preparation, but it was all contained in letters, pamphlets, and notes from conversations.

National OA Committee Formed

With the integration of the OA into the BSA reorganization of the national OA infra-structure was necessary. Gone was the old National Executive Committee and in was the new National Committee on the Order of the Arrow. The OA would report to the Director of Camping. That person in 1948 was Wes Klusmann. Klusmann had already served on the old National Executive Committee as the National Council BSA representative. His role would actually be about the same. The National Committee on the Order of the Arrow would be a sub-committee of the Committee on Camping and Special Event.

The OA’s representative on the Committee on Camping would be a new position, the OA National Secretary, a BSA paid Scout professional.

15th National Meeting / First NOAC

The 1948 National Meeting ushered in a new era. The meeting was held at the University of Indiana, Bloomington, Indiana. This was the first of many national OA gatherings at the centrally located university. So-Aka-Gha-Gwa Lodge served as the host lodge and wore a distinctive neckerchief so all Arrowmen could identify them if in need of assistance.

1,100 – 1,200 delegates from 146 lodges were in attendance, both all-time highs. Founder E. Urner Goodman provided the opening keynote address. He noted that the Order now had 362 lodges, over 40,000 active members and more than 100,000 initiates since the beginning.

25th Anniversary OA Meeting

The 1940 25th Anniversary National Meeting hosted by Anicus Lodge of Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania was convened at their beautiful Camp Twin Echo (often called CTE), National Chief Joe Brunton’s home camp. Records for number of lodges and delegates were set with 64 lodges and 615 attendees, a nearly 50% increase over the 1938 Meeting. This was the last National Meeting held at a summer camp. With the continued growth they would have to move to a larger venue. During the early years of the Grand Lodge the OA had met in cities, hotels and camps. That would change for the next meeting.

200th Lodge Formed

On July 9, 1941, Echockotee Lodge of Jacksonville, Florida became the Order’s 200th Lodge. It had taken nearly 22 years for the Order to form it first 100 lodges. The Order added the second 100 in just over four.

DSA Created

Due to the success and growth of the Order throughout the nation, the National Executive Committee adopted a new award to acknowledge members who had played integral roles for this important expansion, their belief in program, and their commitment to plan and promote early area and national meetings.

H. Lloyd Nelson

Nelson started Scouting in Goodman’s old Troop 1 in Philadelphia. He was inducted into the Unami Lodge at Treasure Island in 1919. Nelson was in attendance at the 1921 First Meeting of the Grand Lodge. He served on the camp staff at Treasure Island Scout Reservation and served as the 1925 Lodge Chief of Unami Lodge. On September 17, 1925 H. Lloyd Nelson kept the 45th Vigil in the Order at Treasure Island during the Fifth Grand Lodge Meeting.

Philmont Donated to BSA

Waite Phillips (Jan. 19, 1883- Jan. 27, 1964) was much more than the prototypical oilman, wildcatter and businessman. He was also a philanthropist. The generosity of he and his family resulted in a major change for Scouting – the creation of its High Adventure Program.

Waite Phillips

Waite Phillips (Jan. 19, 1883 - Jan. 27, 1964) was much more than the prototypical oilman, wildcatter and businessman. He was also a philanthropist. The generosity of he and his family resulted in a major change for Scouting – the creation of its High Adventure Program.

100th Lodge

With the initiation of Jonito-Otara (later known as Anpetu-We) Lodge on April 5, 1937 the Order reached the milestone of chartering 100 lodges. It took fifteen years for the Order to form the first fifty lodges, the Order had doubled in size from fifty to one hundred lodges in less than seven more years. However, our Order’s greatest period of growth was yet to come.

Syndicate content